Thursday, August 18, 2011

Running to stay sane

Distance: 2.7 miles
Time: 36 min.

It's that time of year. I am getting ready to start back to school on Monday. I've been officially back to work since Monday. I've been at school all summer.

Summer was pretty low key with summer school and various summer activities. Going to back to school is a whole different ball of wax.

Even though this is my 12th year teaching, it is always new, fun, exciting, and crazy. Throw in my responsibilities as vice principal, my youngest starting preschool for the first time, my oldest starting 2nd grade, and my general anxiousness about the world, and it makes for one crazy Heather.

I'll be signing up for the Two Cities Half Marathon in November, but really...my running during the fall season is more about sanity than training.

I haven't even posted about my Salinas Half Marathon. It was wonderful. It was blessedly cool. I despise running in the heat. Hate. Can't stand or tolerate. Running in Salinas was like skipping through tulips and sliding down rainbows with cool refreshing weather.

I need to do a 1/2 marathon post. Hopefully I'll get to that soon. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, this time of year makes me a crazy mess. I want to be able to accomplish everything, and I never can do it all. Then I feel like I failed.

Didn't mean for this to be a rambling post, but I'm already starting to feel the pressure of work, home, kids, and running. Yes, running is also a stress for me. As much good as it does me, it also can make me feel bad when I feel like I'm not improving.

For now, I need to be happy that I got on the treadmill (after taking nearly two weeks off and gaining over 6 pounds). Am I on plan for 1/2 training? Um, no. But I ran. And running for 26 minutes makes me feel better than it did 26 minutes ago.

2 comments:

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Running is definitely a good stress reliever!!

BeckyK said...

I'm feeling that "crunch" that comes w/ the beginning of the school year. I'm on day three of a headache and have been nauseated off and on for a week. I should lace up those running shoes--I know it will help. Way to keep it all together! Best of luck starting your new school year!