Friday, December 30, 2011

Simple Mile

Distance: 1.9/Run 1.0 - 5.0 mph

Not much to report. I waited until the very end of the day to do my run. I knew I wanted to keep it simple because I plan to do three tomorrow. I like Saturdays to be my "long" run day.

I realized while kicking out my one mile for the night that I am starting to prefer getting my run done earlier in the day. I used to always run at night because I was not willing to get up super early to do something as hard as run. Night time on the treadmill was the only time I had to get it done.

I am now figuring out that I don't particularly like running at night. Maybe if it was with someone and we were outside. But that isn't happening.

My preferred time to run is late afternoon between 3 and 5. It's not awful early like morning, it's a great way to get an afternoon lift, and I have time to enjoy the after glow of exercise. When I run at night, that glow has nowhere to go. Once I finally stop sweating, I go to bed. That's not fun.

The last few days when I've gotten my run done in the afternoon, that glow/lift/high/perk keeps me happy well into the evening.

This is all fine and good while I am on vacation, but it is a bit harder to fit in an afternoon run when I'm working. Funny little thing called school/staff meetings/parent meetings/tutoring/grading papers/etc. gets in the way. Plus, I don't really care for running outside in the neighborhood around my school. It's not a bad neighborhood, but I like the longer 1/2 mile stretches of the blocks near my house.

I guess that leaves me with early morning treadmill runs. I don't like being up that early, but I do like starting the day with something super positive and empowering.

Anyhow, today was a simple mile. Tomorrow will be an outdoor three. At least, that's what I'm shooting for.


In other news, we had an appointment to get this little man's picture taken in this super old cowboy suit. It is a Hopalong Cassidy suit that belonged to my mom. We (mom, me, sis, two nephews, and two sons) have all had our picture in this suit. It's a neat tradition. Little Man did very well. I hope my mom likes the photo.

No comments: