Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Times Have Changed

Distance: 1.85 miles/11:28 avg. pace

In keeping with my fantastic 3-day streak, I gathered the kids together and had them ride their bikes with me again while I ran. We stayed within our neighborhood this morning. I ran one of my old routes before stopping at the local park just a few blocks down from us.

I think I ran 1.1 miles by the time we ended up at the park.

Then Hudson had to poop. So we ran/rode home. Then we ran/rode back to the park. The kids played. Then we ran/rode home. Luckily the park is close!

I was just sitting here thinking about how different things are now. When I first started running, neither of the kids were at the point where they could ride their bikes with me. We set out like this:


Two boys in a bike trailer, bribed with candy, headphones, warm clothes, and anything else that would keep them quiet and entertained for 30 minutes or more.

Now the kids look like this:



They both ride their bikes with ease. They are much faster than me. They don't need to be bribed with candy. Going on a bike ride is incentive enough. They do like stopping at parks to play.

Now if I can just get the little one to be a bit more careful at intersections and to ride near the curb at all times. Luckily the big kid is very helpful with his little brother.

It was nice to do a short run today. Tomorrow I should be able to fit in a solo run. I'm going to aim for at least three miles.

Even though it is slightly stressful to run while worrying about two kids on bikes, I have to admit that I like having them with me. I feel less lonely. They also keep me distracted, just not always in a good way.

It does make me shake my head at how much we've all changed.

No comments: