Thursday, May 26, 2011

Recovery Run

Distance: 2.5 miles
Time: 34 min.
Run: 2 miles/12 min. pace

I know nothing about recovering after a long run or race, but after doing a bit of reading on the internet, I at least figured out I needed to take it easy for a few days. I took this advice very seriously and did nothing for three days!

Today I ended the resting streak and got on the treadmill for an easy two miles. It felt good. I only felt teeny tiny twinges in my left knee, but nothing that would even cause me concern.

I took the day off from school to attend my mom's retirement party. She has worked as a teacher's aide in Chowchilla for 26 years! Not going to work today meant I was able to sleep in a bit, get a morning run done, and enjoy the day with very little stress other than refereeing the children. Quite nice.


Evan and my mom at her retirement lunch.

I am going to do a 30-mile bike ride with Eric on Saturday to honor the life of a girl from Chowchilla who died in last Saturday's Century bike race. I may or may not do a three mile run after biking. I'll have to see how my legs feel.

And last, Eric and I went to our Weekly Wednesday Weight Watcher meeting last night. I lost 4.6 pounds for a total of 37 pounds gone! Eric is at the 40 pound mark. I needed to see a decent loss last night after floundering for over a month. I hit 155 on April 13 and have bounced up and down around the upper 150's until last night. Finally, I fell below the 155 to reach 153!

Our leader mentioned that is approximately 12 weeks between Memorial Day and Labor Day (it is actually 14 - I counted!), and gave us the suggestion to think about what we could lose in that time. If we go with the one pound a week mantra (which I do), I could be down another 14 pounds.

With that in mind, it is my goal to be down to at least 140 pounds by Labor Day. Obviously, I'd love to be smaller than that, but the goal is at least 140. It will give me some focus during the summer. You would think I'd have more time to spend on my health in the summer being off work. In theory, yes, I have more time. However, I tend to be lazy and not care much about anything including my health. Not this summer!

No comments: