Sunday, December 27, 2009

Did it!

Running Log:
2.54 miles
30 minutes
Avg. speed - 11:51/mile
Max speed - 10:29/mile
Will be doing 3 min. strength training on arms with 8 lb. weights

In the words of my two-year-old, "Did it!" That's what I wanted to shout after I got back from my "long run" today. I have been avoiding my long run for several weeks, so I finally got back out there today and just did it. Only, it wasn't a very "long" run. Just 30 minutes. My longest run to date was 47 minutes, but I am going to have to build back up to that over the next few weeks.

This run was rather difficult for me. I huffed and puffed and tried to suck in air. But I kept going. I read something the other day that really spoke to me. You never regret the runs you complete, but you do regret the runs you skip. Sooooooooooo true. It may be a difficult run, a slow run, a stomach cramping run, or a huffing and puffing run, but once you are done, you feel so much better. You just don't regret completing a run. You never look back and say, "Man, I wish I hadn't gotten that run in today."

However, the runs you skip only serve to make you feel bad and to remind you of something you didn't do. I'm not saying that I am striving to be a perfectionist, but just that if there is no real reason to stay home, I need to get my butt out there and just get it done.


Sporting my new running gear that I got for Christmas. I LOVE my running pants. I want to wear them all the time now. They are just comfy. Who needs jeans when you can wear slimming and soft yoga-type pants?

I am also wearing my new pink jacket. I love color, and this little jacket fit the bill. The only problem is that I wore it over a long-sleeved running shirt and got way too hot midway through my run. There is nothing fun about trying to disrobe in the middle of a run. Then I spent the rest of my run yanking on the sleeves around my waist to keep the jacket from falling off.

Also notice the Garmin watch. That was my early Christmas present from Eric. I love my husband! Lastly, the Ipod Nano? Shuffle? Nano? I can never remember which one I have. I don't like wearing it on my upper arm, so I wear it low where I can change the songs if I so desire.

I have only recently started running with a hat. It helps keep the sweat from running into my face. And maybe someday I will find my own sunglasses and be able to give Eric's back to him. His glasses are a bit big on my face and started bouncing around on my nose as I ran.


And I'm going now. In just a second I'll be off and running. Yep, watch me fly. Off I go. But wait, a quick hug for my one and only.


And one more hug.


There I go. I'm not actually running in this photo. I always do a five-minute warm up. There is a manhole cover that I walk to, and that is where I start running. Strange, I know, but it works for me.

Tough run, but I know that my endurance is low. I will work back up to where I was. Hopefully it won't take too long. I did 30 minutes today. Next Sunday I will increase that to 33 minutes. I'll keep adding 3 minutes each week until I am up to an hour. Then I don't know what I'll do!

Oh, did I ever mention that I want to run the 1/2 marathon next November here in Fresno? I'm not sure it's doable next year, but it is stirring in the back of my mind. One thing I do know I can do is find a race to run each month. There is nothing quite like the atmosphere of a race. Maybe someday I'll win a ribbon. Someday. I can always dream.

No comments: