Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pokey Slow


I already have a blog that focuses on my two kiddos and our family, but I thought it would be fun to have a blog that is more about me. If nothing else, this blog can be an online record of my running journey.

I have never enjoyed running, but in recent months, it has become something of an obsession. It started when I decided to sign up for the Susan G. Komen race in October of 2009. My mom is a two time breast cancer survivor, and I wanted to do something to honor her.

I didn't make an effort to fund raise, but I did pay my entry fee! It's a lousy excuse, but I was struggling with the concept that I'd be running 3.1 miles let alone trying to raise money for the honor of doing so. When I started, I could barely run for 60 seconds without wanting to keel over.

Imagine my surprise when I started training using the Couch to 5K online program and I actually started enjoying my run! I was also staggered by the fact that I could run continuously for 30 minutes by the end of the program. My longest run to date has lasted 47 minutes. My fastest 5K (of the three I have run so far) was 35:16. And that is an unofficial time since I can't find results posted anywhere.

So this blog is more about me than anything else. Peanut and Chicken get all the glory on the other blog. This one is mine!

Like the description says, I am a pokey slow runner but trying not to care. It's hard not to care, but I am trying.

No comments: