Monday, July 4, 2011

Athletic Fourth

We enjoyed a very hot and very athletic Fourth of July weekend.

I started Saturday with my 10-mile run. I already wrote about that.

On Sunday morning, I picked up our babysitter at 7 a.m, and Eric and I headed out for a two hour bike ride. We both felt great and made improvement over our last ride. Eric, especially, rode strong. I was impressed. He would zip ahead of me, but wait for me to catch up at intersections. It worked out well.


Taking a water/fuel break around mile 22. Even though we left the house at 7:15, it was HOT outside. We were both sweaty messes by the time we got home. We rode over 28 miles.


Eric had a fantastic ride. We really enjoy riding together.

Fourth of July was celebrated yesterday. Weird, I know, but it worked out best for family. My mom, sister, and nephews came to our house for the day. My mom, sis, and I took off to the grocery store for an hour of fun. My mom loves my grocery store. Again...strange!

After a fun day of eating and fireworks, the cousins ended up spending the night. They all camped out in the family room with the warning that we would be getting up very early so I could go to my race. They still wanted to stay.


The oldest and youngest slept on the floor, while the two middle kids slept on the couch. They were four very tired boys after playing all day yesterday. I sort of felt bad for having to wake them up at 5:45!

We were out the door by 6 a.m. this morning to head to my race. Child #2 was a little cranky at being woken up so early. He refused to face the camera, and he refused to be put down.


Even though the race started at 7 a.m, it was already 80ish degrees. That is NOT my happy temperature for running. I prefer 50 degrees.


Running UPHILL to the finish line!

The race was held in the park where a lot of my races are held, but the course was different than I have ever run. I enjoyed the difference, but the bad part were the hills. The entire last 1/3 of a mile was up a pretty steep hill. UGH!

I started the race running with my friend Elaine, but I was running faster than her, so she told me to go ahead. So I did. I was clicking along pretty nicely for the first three miles. I was really pleased. Then we ran down a pretty steep hill, and I knew we'd eventually have to go up said hill.

I also got REALLY hot at about mile 3. Super hot. Like not sure if I was okay kind of hot. I walked on and off for the last mile. I still maintained a 10:51 pace for the race, so I am pleased with my time. I sure hope I see improvements in my time when the weather gets cold again.

After I finished, my body just couldn't cool down. I was dripping sweat from every pore. (Every person there was dripping. Pretty gross.) Normally after a few minutes I'll cool off, but the air was muggy today, and I started to panic. I get really anxious when I get too hot.

Eric grabbed me some watermelon while I sucked down water. We headed to the car pretty shortly after I was done.

We made a quick stop at the store to grab breakfast supplies, and then Eric made us delicious omelettes, bacon and country potatoes.

We took the cousins home, and now we are back home relaxing. It's been a nice weekend. I don't have to work this week other than preparing lessons for summer school and working at home on our preschool binder. Looking forward to more relaxing before needing to kick it into higher gear for school.

Oh, I almost forgot! I bought new running shoes.


Asics Gel Nimbus 13s. I always get white, so this grey color is a switch for me. I'm not going to wear them until I log another 50 miles. This shoe is the upgrade from the Nimbus 12s. That shoe worked out great for me, so now I can find them online for pretty cheap. I might have to buy another pair of the 12s if I find a great sale.

No comments: