Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ten Mile Alone Time

Distance: 10 miles
Time: 1:59:45/11:59 avg pace

I'm all for having some quality alone time, but two hours of huffing, puffing and sweating from 6-8 a.m. is downright hard. It took a lot of motivation, discipline, and pep talks to get me through my 10 miles by myself today.

The good parts: it's done, I finished in less than (barely) 12-minute miles, and now I have my feeling of accomplishment to carry me through the day.

The bad parts: my knees hurt (icing them as I type).

I was REALLY tired yesterday. I taught summer school until noon, met the family for lunch and a movie, got my nails done and then came home and figured I'd snooze for an hour or so before dinner. Well, my "snooze" turned into a three-hour miss dinner dead to the world sleep.

I woke up at 10, confused and disoriented. I got up, ate some crackers, and went back to bed. I slept soundly until my alarm went off at 5:21 this morning. Over 10 hours of deep sleep. Yikes! I think my body was trying to tell me something!

In any case, I doubt I'd have been able to handle a 10-mile run this morning had I not gotten some good sleep. Sometimes my body decides what it needs without any input from me!

Today's plan is to clean the house. From top to bottom. Scrubbing, dusting, CLEAN. I'm tired of the clutter and mess.

My family is coming over tomorrow for fireworks and bbq. I have a race on Monday morning.

And now I need to go eat something before I pass out.

2 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Great long run this morning! Obviously your body needed that sleep, glad you got it.

BeckyK said...

Great job on the double-digit run! I joked that my kids are alive because I ran (which explained why I ran so far).
Have you tried taking glucosamine? I take it when I start doing runs longer than an hour. It really helps my knees, and its effects are noticable within a week of taking it.