Sunday, July 10, 2011

Better Than Last Week

Distance: 11.23 miles
Time: 2:12:08
Run: 11 miles/2:07:36/11:36 avg pace

I was really nervous about this morning's 11-mile run. I'm not sure why. I did 10 last week and 8 the week before. I've gone long distances before. I guess it's just that each long run brings doubt.

In any case, I was out of the house by 6. My hope is to always finish in under 12-minute miles. Then I add extra time to account for stoplights and walking/fuel breaks. I told Eric to not expect me back much before 9. If I'm not back by then, that is when he should worry!

He was pretty surprised when I got home by 8:20. I was pretty pleased, too.

I couldn't even begin to tell you what I think about for over two hours plodding along by myself. The time seems to go by the fastest when I do math in my head or plan things for the future. Weird.

One thing that has been helping me is I have a very specific plan before I leave for when to stop for water and chomps. I am a very "rule" oriented person, so I make rules for myself when running these long runs. When I follow the rules, I feel very successful!

I walk and take in water on the even miles. I walk, drink, and take four chomps at miles 3, 6, and 9. This gives me the mental boost I need knowing that I'll essentially be walking at miles 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, and 10. I also allow myself sips of water whenever I have to wait at a stoplight.

I know I tend to over complicate things, but having this plan in mind really helps keep me moving. When I'm at mile 6.5, I can tell myself, "Just a mile and a half to go and you can stop for water." The hardest stretches are in the middle from miles four to eight.

I plan to use a similar plan for my half in Salinas but adjusting the fuel to miles 3, 6, 9 and 11. Two packs of Chomps will get me through the race. I definitely have the ability to do better than my first half.

The best part about this morning besides finishing? It was blessedly cool! It was 65 degrees when I started out. There were even moments when the wind hit my sweaty self and I shivered! I haven't shivered since February!

Next week is 12 miles and then I start two weeks of taper. Now if I could just keep up with the mid-week runs, I'd really be feeling strong!

Once again, I'm icing my knees. I think I do need to look into some Glucosamine.

***********************

Yesterday Eric and I went on a Beginner's Group Ride with the owner, John, from Sunnyside Bicycles. There was one other lady named Isabel who just moved here from Spain. She sounds just like the Sisters at my school/church who are all from Spain!

We rode over 18 miles out Belmont towards the mountains. At first we were riding at about 10-11 mph. Then John asked if we'd all be comfortable kicking it up to 15 mph. We all said yes.

It was a great ride with John teaching us etiquette in group riding such as pointing out road hazards, communicating, and handling dogs and traffic. There was a dog that charged out at us and scared me half to death. I'm surprised I didn't fall off my bike. Yikes! John yelled at the dog just as loud as the dog barked at us.

Since we were done with the ride by 9, I suggested we load up the kids with their bikes and head to the park to do an easy ride with them. We went about 5.5 miles at Woodward Park and then enjoyed Jamba Juice smoothies after that. Smoothies are the best treat after exercise! They are my family's guilty pleasure.

One of these days I'll take more pictures, but I feel like my pictures all look the same. And I just use my phone to take them because I'm not going to carry a camera while I run or ride. I carry enough stuff as it is. Phone in one hand and water bottle in the other. Luckily the phone doubles as the ipod.

I'm meeting my mom and sister in a few hours to see the play Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. I loved that movie growing up, so I'm looking forward to the play.

1 comment:

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

This morning was a great morning for a run!! So much cooler!!! Enjoy your trip to the coast, it sure feels good to be nice and cool!