Thursday, July 7, 2011

Half is Getting Closer

Wednesday
Distance: 2.59 miles
Thursday
Distance: 4 miles/11:21 avg pace

I was supposed to run five miles yesterday. I should have gone at 6 a.m. I set my alarm to go at 6 a.m. The alarm went off, and I continued to sleep. I figured I'd just go after I dropped Hudson off at daycare. The only problem was that Hudson slept late, I got him to daycare later than usual, and by the time I started running, it was already hot.

I just don't do well in heat. Give me 40 degree weather ANY day over this nasty 100+ crap we'll be dealing with for the next few months. I guess I should be happy I don't live in Texas or Florida. I'd die. Seriously.

Anyhow, I dropped Hudson at daycare and took Evan with me on his bike. It was 9:30 and 86 degrees. I made it a whole 1.3 miles out before I stopped and told Evan we had to go home. I stood there giving myself a pep talk while Evan patiently watched me while perched on his bike. He put up his little hand and said, "High five, Mom. You can do this!" What a little sweetheart! Just one of the thousands of reasons why I really like that kid!

After we made it home without dying of heat stroke, the child and I got ready to go to the water park for the day. He was big enough this year to ride the big water slides. We stayed there for about four hours, and man was I exhausted after walking up and down those hills all afternoon.

My four mile run this morning was just okay. Not fast. Not slow. It was 75 degrees. While that is certainly better than 86, it was still warm for me. Oh how I long for January and winter racing. Seeing your breath while you run is so much easier for me.

I have two more weekends of long runs (one 11 and one 12 mile) before I taper for two weeks. The half is less than a month away. My cousin was supposed to run with me, but she is getting over an injury and won't be able to join me. That is a bummer, but I am still excited about the race.

1 comment:

BeckyK said...

What training program are you running? I haven't totally given up on the idea of running a 1/2 this autumn.
Hooray for you running (I don't like the heat, either!). Because of your post, I'm out to torture . . . I mean ENJOY myself and a couple of mile!