Saturday, February 19, 2011

Judicata

Thursday 2/17
Distance: 3.6 miles
Time: 47:46 minutes

Today
Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 32:49 minutes/10:59 average pace

I got sick last Monday and took three days off of exercise. The horror! In the past, taking three days off would have been enough to completely lose my motivation. Luckily, that did not happen. I chose to look at the three days as necessary rest to get over a creepy cold.

I am proud of myself for that.

I still wasn't feeling back to 100% by Thursday, but I knew I needed to get a run done. I jumped on the treadmill and ran a mile, walked a minute, ran another mile, walked another minute, and then ran a final mile. I was tired but not depleted. I was pretty pleased because I thought that run would be a lot harder given being sick.

This morning was a race that the boys and I did. It benefits the local law school. Funny story: I attended that law school for a year and a half. I decided not to be a lawyer and became a teacher instead, but I very much remember spending time in that building.


Both boys before the race.

Evan was second into the chute and first in his age bracket. There weren't that many kids racing, so the race director ran all the kids together in one race. Once they all took off, it scared Hudson because he couldn't keep up. He turned around and cried.

I swooped him up and after a moment convinced him to run with me holding his hand. We ran the quarter mile together! And even though we came in second to last amongst all the kids, Hudson won first in his age bracket as well! (Obviously there were no other three-year-old males running!) Good warm up for me in any case.


Me just before my race.


Not the best photo with both boys looking away from me, but they were both so proud of their medals. Watching your kids succeed is such an amazing feeling!


The boys with my principal's niece. She is super speedy and won first place in the 16-year-old female 2-mile run category!

As for me winning a medal...um no! I was just impressed with my times! I maintained a pretty swift pace (for me) the entire time, and I felt pretty strong up until the last 1/2 mile. As I came around the last turn, but the boys ran out to meet me and raced with me to the finishing chute! Perfect! My goals were met: don't finish last, maintain at least 12 minute miles, and try not to walk. Met all three.

We possibly have another race next weekend. Yay for motivation and great chilly running weather!

No comments: