Saturday, April 23, 2011

Double Digits

Distance: 10 miles!!!!!
Time: 1:56:08/11:37 avg pace

Oh my goodness! I ran 10 miles this morning! I don't recall a single time ever in my life when I have run that far. Here it is over 12 hours later, and I am still feeling that "runner's high" I get after I finish a challenging run. Feeling proud today.

My training plan called for 8 miles. There was a race today at Woodward Park where there was a two, five, or 10 mile option. I figured I could either run five and go out for three more or run 8 and walk to finish the 10 if necessary. I chose option two.

The music director from church/school ran with me. This is our third race we've done together.


I'm in the pink hat and Elaine is in blue. I have a weird look on my face. Probably because I was cold and anxious to be running 10 miles.

From the get-go the goal was to finish. Elaine and I just trotted along, talked about everything under the sun, and enjoyed the day.

Last night we went to REI to purchase a fuel belt for me. With my long runs getting progressively longer, I need a place to store chomps and sport beans. I was really nervous about wearing something around my waist, but I LOVED it. I couldn't even tell it was there, and it held everything perfectly.

I had already planned to slow down and walk at miles 3, 6 and 8 so I could eat my chomps. Chunking the race into three and two mile segments made it so much more "doable." I liked the blueberry chomp better than the cherry flavored shot block, but neither gave me any stomach trouble. I also tried Nuun for the first time, and I really liked it. So much better than plain water, but no added calories.

We started the race with a one mile or so loop through the park before we headed out the familiar Eaton Trail. We crossed both bridges and headed down into a small valley before the turn around point. There was a swarm of nasty gnats flying in our mouth, eyes, and nose at that point, but we tucked our heads and kept going.

Quite a good way to spend Holy Saturday if you ask me. As we hit mile 9, Elaine made the comment, "We are heading for Jesus. They said He is risen and we are going to see him." It gave me chills. The quiet of the morning, the beauty of the skies, the effort of our breathing...it all seemed a bit surreal at that point.

My goal was to finish, and my second goal was to finish in less than two hours. Now, I know I said I needed to run 8 and the rest didn't matter. But I knew I was lying to myself. I wasn't going to walk the last two miles. No way! We reached the end in one hour and fifty-six minutes! I was so happy and proud.

And then my leg seized up just as I entered the chute. I've had a bit of trouble with the muscle on the outside of my right leg. IT band maybe? It was fine while I was running but started to hurt once I walked. I've been babying it today.

Eric signed me up for a post race massage, but I just wanted to get home so I scratched my name off the list. We stayed for the awards because Evan won first place in his race. I was running, so I didn't get to see his race. He got a cute little trophy. Then we headed home and I took an ice bath.

Rest, soccer game, and then home to crash for a few hours.

Such an accomplishment for me today. This gives me total confidence that I can finish a half!

2 comments:

The Green Girl said...

That's awesome! I am so proud of you, girl! You are doing amazing.

I hope I can run as fast as you someday.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congratulations--especially on running all 10 miles. Way to go!
I love nuun for long runs, especially when I'm outside. They really keep me from dehydrating!
:)