Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Physical Therapy

Distance: 4.5 miles
Run: 4 miles/avg pace 11:07

I just don't understand how I can run six miles on Saturday at the crack of dawn and feel fantastic, and then I do two miles this afternoon and feel like I'm slogging through mud. Ugh. Tonight's run was difficult.

I don't think I had enough to eat before the run, it was hotter than usual, and I was thirsty. I had to stop a few times, but I knew I'd finish. It was just rough. That's okay, though. I know there are good days and bad days.

Look at me being all kind to myself!

I started physical therapy last Friday. Today after school was my second appointment. I'm not sure what happened, but I have an impingement in my left shoulder. It had been aching for over a week. The pain radiated from my collarbone all the way down to my wrist.

I'm not one to go to the doctor very often for stuff like this, but it was not getting better. I got it checked by my doctor, and she sent me for x-rays and physical therapy.

I've never been to PT. It's interesting. They have me do several different weight bearing exercises for my shoulder. Then they use an ultrasound machine to rub cortisone into the muscle. I enjoy this part because it is like a mini massage. Then I get iced down. They have these really cool vest-like things that fill with super cold water. It's way better than holding an ice pack on my shoulder like I do at home.

Right now I am scheduled to go for three more appointments. We'll see if I need to go longer. Right now the therapist just wants to work on taking down the inflammation.

Icing all weekend definitely helped, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

And this is totally off topic, but I can't wait for the movie Water For Elephants to come out later this month. I'll be on Easter break, so I think I'll be taking myself to the movies. I just saw the trailer on tv, and it made me excited!

No comments: