Saturday, April 2, 2011

My First 10K Ever!

Today I ran a 10K for the first time. I was really anxious about the distance, but ended up having a great time and feeling so proud of myself!

The music teacher at my school, Elaine, wanted to run the race with me, and I was so excited to have someone to race with today. Elaine got me through two measly little miles back in a race in JANUARY of this year. After I hit the finish line in that race, she took off to run four more miles. She said she hasn't done any running since that race, so today's 6.2 was a bit of a struggle for her. However, Elaine kept jogging!

After waking up at 5:15 and pondering on how much I have changed (seriously...who am I getting up on a Saturday to run of all things!), we took off at 6 for the race located at a local private university. I have lived here for eight years, and I have never been on this campus or even knew where it was located for that matter.

I was preregistered, so I picked up my shirt and waited. I also ate an apple. (I don't wear the shirts because they are usually cotton t-shirts which aren't the most comfortable thing to run in.)


Me before the race feeling a bit anxious about the distance.

Elaine arrived.


Love this lady! She played the organ at our wedding nearly eight years ago!

This was a pretty small event. There were no roads being blocked off. There were no police. The race director gave us a few tips: don't fall in the canal, watch out for cars, and be careful climbing over the railroad tracks hoping there was no train coming! There was one water station at mile 3.

I'm not much of a canal bank runner, but this was a really pretty run. Very green, cool and shady. I stayed away from the edge of the canal. Some of that water was moving pretty swiftly.

Elaine was strong for the first three miles. It took me a bit to settle into the run. I was doing okay by mile 2, though.

We hit the water station at Mile 3, but I had my own water bottle and sport beans. This is the first time I have tried any type of fueling during a run. I had to stop to walk in order to chew, breathe, and swallow. I am getting better at drinking while running, but eating is going to take some practice.

The sport beans tasted okay, but I didn't like the after taste. I was only able to get about five beans swallowed. The rest of them went back in my water bottle pocket.

I don't know if it was the bean energy or the mental effect, but I felt GREAT after that. I was jogging along like I belonged there! Granted, we were running a bit slower since it was the end of the course, but I knew I'd have no trouble getting to the end. What a great feeling!

Elaine and I got back into the stadium, ran a half lap around the track, and hit the finish line with a good kick! Eric and the boys went to McDonald's for breakfast, but were back in plenty of time to cheer me on to the finish line! I feel bad making my family get up with me so early, but I love having them at my events!

My time was 6.23 miles/1:11:45/11:31 avg pace. I felt really strong!


I couldn't believe I had just successfully run six miles! Yay me!

Races leave me with a runner's high that lasted well into the late afternoon!

After the race, I came home, sat in an ice bath for 10 minutes, then got ready to go to Big Hat Days in Downtown Clovis. Eric and Evan rode their bikes, and Hudson and I drove the car. We had a great Mexican food lunch, walked around the street fair, and came back home for naps.

I got my nails done, went grocery shopping, and now I'm getting rid of gray hair. It's been quite the eventful day!

I forgot to mention that I skipped my four miles that I was supposed to run on Thursday. The perfectionist in me wanted to make them up yesterday, but I am so glad I rested instead. That gave me two days to be rested for today's race.

Also, I started physical therapy on my left shoulder. I'll try to remember to post about that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Carol said...

You are awesome Heather!!! Hooray for your 10K!
And you look FANTASTIC! I can't say it enough--you look amazing. Every time I see a new pic of you, I say it to myself: Heather looks SO good! Keep it up, lovely Heather!

The Green Girl said...

Congratulations on your first 10k, girl! You are looking really great - so fit and healthy.