Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day One Complete

Distance: 3.5 miles
Time: 44:30ish
Run: 3 miles/5.2 speed

I officially started training for my second half marathon on Monday. I had a pretty good run on the treadmill at a 5.2 speed. "Pretty good" is defined as not having to stop to take a break! And the fact that I was going over a 5.0 speed is a bonus as well!

I also did 10 minutes of ab work after I ran. I am declaring Day One a success.

Now here's my question. Why is three miles still so hard? I knew I'd finish the run, but Jiminy Cricket, it is still an effort.

Last night I had Eric put my bike on his trainer so I could "ride" through the living room. At first I didn't feel like I was getting a workout, but sticking with it for 30 minutes, I started to feel a burn. If I pedaled faster, I got a better workout. Go figure! In any case, being on the bike at any speed was better for me than sitting on the couch at zero speed!

I enjoyed the different option for exercise, but I don't like the fact that I have no idea how fast or far I am going. I don't do well with the whole rate of perceived exertion. I ALWAYS overestimate how hard I am working.

After biking, I spent 10 minutes working on my arm strength. Strength training is my goal for this ten week training session.

I also signed up for the Salinas Half Marathon yesterday. It's official. I'll be running the half on Saturday, Aug. 6. That will keep me motivated all summer. Yay!

No comments: