Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Trot Tomorrow

Not much running has been going on the past few days. Five days to be exact. It's okay, though. It took a few days to get over the fever and chills.

Tomorrow I am signed up for the Turkey Trot in Fresno. I didn't run this last year, but I did run it the year before. I'm not quite up to 5K speed, but I ran 2.5 miles last week. I should be fine. Slow, but fine.

Today is Eric's birthday. He's 43. For a few months he is seven years older than me instead of six.


Birthday lunch at Japanese Kitchen. The cook was a talker. I wanted to tell him, "less talking, more cooking." Usually the food is amazing. Today it was just good.

He (the cook, not Eric) also had a very thick Japanese accent. I am horrible with accents. Horrible. People get mad at me because I can't understand them very well if they have an accent. But I don't do it on purpose. I have to stare at their lips while they talk. It's tricky.

The waiter insisted on talking to me...a lot. I understood very little of what he said. Plus, it was loud in the restaurant. I just smiled and nodded. It was just like when I took Spanish in college. Smile and nod.

Other than birthday lunch, it was a pretty low key day. I figured I should do at least one productive thing.


I tried to be the best wife ever by making homemade birthday cinnamon rolls. I got as far as making the dough. Then the dough didn't rise.

Hmmmm.


So I started a cake. In a small bowl.

I have a knack for using the wrong cooking tool for the job. Eric is forever shaking his head as I use a giant spoon in a tiny bowl, or a tiny bowl for way too much mix, or a steak knife to cut a huge onion. And the list goes on.


Eric dancing to his happy birthday song.

In any case, the cake turned out, even if the cinnamon rolls didn't. Eric wanted chocolate frosting. I wanted white. You'd think it was his birthday or something and he should get a choice! Or at the very least a cake to himself. Yeah, no.

Oh, I also cleaned my closet. Sort of. I straightened it up because I needed to get to the memory boxes. So I did two productive things today.


The memory boxes are covered with clothes, shoes, and all my stuff that I am too lazy to put away. However, in order to clean off the kitchen counter, I need access to the memory boxes. Stuff from the kitchen counter goes in the memory boxes. It's a vicious cycle as to why I can't clean my house!


Now I have access to the memory boxes. Now I can clean the kitchen counter.

Now I feel the need to eat frosting. Vanilla. Yum.

No comments: