Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fuel is Important

Distance: 5.0 miles/10:52 avg. pace

I had a five mile run on my schedule today. I wasn't afraid of the distance or really that worried about it because of two reasons. One, I did five miles last Saturday, and while I was tired, I completed it. And two, I had a great 3.5 mile run on Friday. I felt like a runner.

I forgot to do one little itty bitty important thing before today's run...properly fuel my body.

I had a Fiber Plus bar before going to church at about 9 a.m. and nothing else. We began running at about 11:30. That granola bar didn't last long. The first 2.5 miles were fairly strong, but the second half was ROUGH. I must have stopped every two-tenths of a mile to catch my breath and motivation.

Luckily my 6-year-old rode with me while my husband and 3-year old rode their bikes ahead. Even though we didn't talk much, it was nice having him with me for those last two miles. He even held my water bottle because it felt like I was carrying a 10-pound weight.

My "official" time was 10:52 avg pace miles. However, that is not completely accurate because every time I stopped, my Garmin auto stops. It doesn't factor in the 10 minutes of breaks that I took!

Note to self: EAT!

After the run, we went by a bike store so Husband could get some bike shoes and a helmet. While there, I bought some sport beans, chomps and gels. I think I need to start fueling during my long runs. Please...no laughing that I consider five miles to be my long runs!

I am waiting for the day when I can whip out five miles as though it is no big deal.

After running, we rushed home so I could take a 40-second shower and get ready to go bowling with Child #1 for the Mother/Son bowling day for school. I don't consider bowling to be an overly taxing sport, but I was WIPED OUT! Luckily, it was a fun afternoon.

Then the family went to Olive Garden for soup, salad, and breadsticks. Yummers.

I think it is now time for bed.

No comments: