Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pep Talk

I gained .2 lb. tonight at Weight Watchers. I am bummed. Granted, .2 is hardly anything to worry about, but it is still a gain. It still sucks.

A few weeks ago I gained almost two pounds, but I expected it. That was the week of my birthday, surprise parties, lots of eating out, etc. And then the next week I lost 6. Crazy stuff.

What is irritating to me is that I followed my plan, did LOTS of exercise, and only dipped into my "extra" points by 11. I ran 14 miles. 14!!! So why did I gain .2? I struggle with that.

Is it because even though I stayed on plan, our eating wasn't always healthy? We ended up at a few fast food restaurants, and I didn't eat nearly as many fruits and vegetables at the beginning of the week as I should have.

Or, is it because I am doing more exercise and I'm not eating enough to compensate for that? So my body is hanging onto fat because it thinks we are in starvation mode?

I wish I knew why I gained, however small of a gain it may have been.

On the more positive side of things, I have to remind myself that I lost over 9 pounds in two weeks. That is quite a lot. Maybe my body is simply adjusting to such a quick loss by hanging on to every ounce (and then some)!

I'm not quitting in any way shape or form, but there are times when tracking food, measuring portions, considering choices, and always being aware of food is tiring and irritating. I just want to scarf down pizza and Caesar salad without thinking about points. However, those actions never lead to good feelings. It feels much better to be in control.

I've got more thoughts on the matter, but I'm tired. I think I'm just going to head to bed.

P.S. I've been grouchy today. I think it's because I haven't had nearly as much protein as I need. Today was the start of Lent, so it was a no meat day. I've had a little peanut butter and some cheese, but I really don't think that's enough. I need my protein in the form of meat!