Saturday, January 21, 2012

Five

Distance: 5 miles/11:22 average pace

I remember when I ran my first five-miler last year in March. I was training for my first half marathon, and my training plan called for five miles on the Saturday that I was in Anaheim for a Catholic School conference.

The fourth grade teacher and the Athletic Director from my school agreed to get me through the five miles. I'll admit...I was scared of the distance.

I was so proud of myself when I successfully finished those five miles. I felt like a wet noodle for the rest of the day, but that did not take away from the success I felt in finishing that great of a distance. I know I finished in less than an hour.

Fast forward about 10 months. I am once again rebuilding my endurance. However, I'm not afraid of five mile runs anymore. I am, though, just as proud of finishing the distance!

I started reminiscing this afternoon and was looking at some of my old times and stats. I need to be better at recording my distance and average paces. I don't post everyday, but it is nice to see a running record of how far and how fast I went. It's my new goal to be better at that.

Another goal I have is to lose 12 pounds by April 1. It will be nice to run with 12 less pounds hanging on me. I have a renewed sense of motivation/determination.

That's about all for now. Today's run was the first long run that I did without my family. Just me and the road.

1 comment:

BeckyK said...

Isn't it interesting how your perspective changes once you accomplish something. I remember telling someone I "only" have a five miler or "only" a ten miler this weekend. We forget there was a point when running an entire mile was an accomplishment. Keep it up!!!!