Sunday, January 8, 2012

Much Needed Boost

Distance: 3 miles

I had so much to do today, and I didn't get much accomplished. Yesterday was quite busy, so I guess I just wanted to veg out today.

Little by little I got Christmas packed away. Eric put all the outside lights away. Christmas is officially over. Putting Christmas away sucks. I didn't want to put it all away this year. I guess I was enjoying the pretty lights and decorations.


Now the house looks kind of "blah," and I can't for the life of me remember what we used to have up on the side ledge of the fireplace. I wish I had a regular fireplace mantle. I think a plant may have been up there. We finally killed all the plants, so I'll need to find something else to go there.

At 4:30 this afternoon, I finally got my running clothes on to go for a run. The family went with me on their bikes. I went to put my Garmin on, and it said low battery! What? It was on its charger all night. I guess it didn't connect the right way. Grrrrr.

I am a bit OCD about knowing how far I've gone and what my pace is. I was going to do the 1.75 loop around our neighborhood that I figured out a few weeks ago, but I really wanted to get three miles done. We ended up using Eric's Garmin on his bike. He told me when we got to the half way point to turn around.

I also got a new cell phone yesterday. When I went to plug in my normal ear buds, the phone said "Doesn't support this accessory." Um, okay. I was too lazy to go get the ear buds that came with the phone.

I did something I haven't done in any time I can ever remember. I ran without the Garmin AND without music! At first it was bothersome listening to my breathing. However, it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. It was actually a bit freeing.

If I felt tired, I slowed down. If I felt okay, I let my legs turn over. Listening to my breathing became an awareness. I was never really at a point where I was huffing for air. That was nice.

It turned out to be a great boost for the late afternoon. I need to figure out a way to wear my Garmin, but not be able to look at it. I get obsessed and weird when I see the numbers, but at the end of a run, I WANT to know how far I've gone. Make sense? Maybe a little self control would work. I could just NOT look at the darn thing. Or, maybe I could hide it in my shorts!

1 comment:

TurboTurtle said...

I SO get this! Since I evidently hit the "stop" button on my Runkeeper app on my iPhone Saturday, I only logged the first 3 minutes of my run, so I didn't have the map, my splits, or any of the usual info that I have come to crave at the end of these long runs! It actually made me want to get a Garmin, which is what most of the runners in the training program are using. However, since I have grown to really like the Runkeeper app, and since saving money is high on our priority list, I just need to be more careful.

I, too, listen to music on my runs, except for the Saturday training runs, since I am in a group and talking with them actually makes the miles go by faster. I try hard NOT to hear my breathing, because I know there are times I am sucking wind and should slow down! :)

Maybe you should get a picture of yourself running and put it on your mantle!

Have a great week!