Thursday, January 5, 2012

Good

Distance: 3.75 miles/3.0 running

Finally! A good workout! I finally feel like I ran a good distance that was challenging but did not kill me.

I got on the treadmill at 8:50 p.m. I turned on ABC to watch the end of Wipeout and Grey's Anatomy. Oh my word. Grey's was hard to watch tonight, especially huffing and puffing on the treadmill. It was hard to watch all the dying. It was hard to watch the girl lose her dad. Brings back too many memories of losing my dad. (Oh, and the episode just ended...and now I'm in tears. Gah!)

I pretty much walked the commercials and ran the segments. I just made sure to run three miles total. I didn't care how much I walked, but I was concerned with the amount of running.

TV is finally good again.

Two thoughts are on my mind.

First, my schedule changed at school. I am feeling overwhelmed. It's not as bad as it could have been because I'm running and eating well. I can handle life so much better when I exercise. I MUST continue. I MUST not lose sight of how this effort benefits me in all ways.

Second, a running friend of mine called me today because she had her feelings hurt at a running store when she signed up for a race this weekend. She was debating between running the 5K option or the 2-mile option. The man at the table asked her how long it would take her to finish the 5K. She said about 35 minutes. He said, "It will take you that long?! You need to do the two-mile!"

Oh my gosh! That is so rude! This is always a fear of mine...people commenting or criticizing me for being too slow. In actuality, no one has ever said anything to me about my speed, unless it is to congratulate me for doing a good job. I have always found the running community to be extremely encouraging and positive.

Also, I have never been last in a race, unless you count the race where I was the only person in my age group! No matter how slow I am, there is usually someone who is slower. And it doesn't matter. We are all out there doing it. We are running. That's more than I can say for a huge portion of the population sitting on a couch.

So, to my friend...that man's comment was rude and uncalled for. I'd like to think that he wasn't a runner, but was just someone who was organizing and helping with the behind the scenes part of the race. Otherwise, he's just a rude man.

I'll see my friend at the race on Saturday. I am signed up for the two-mile, and the boys are signed up for the kid races as well. I am excited that race season is finally under way. I really enjoy the atmosphere of a race. Looking forward to Saturday morning!

No comments: