Monday, July 26, 2010

Back From Vacation

Time: 34 min.
Distance: 2.34 miles
Avg. Pace: 14:31/mi.



This is how I spent my first day at the beach...and let me tell you...I was in heaven! I was comfortably chilly, relaxed on a blanket on the warm sand, covered with my sweatshirt and towel, and at one point all alone while the boys took a walk. The only bad thing about that day was I got a sunburn. I should have known better not to slather on the sunscreen even though it was overcast. Bad Heather.

In any case, that picture pretty much sums up my whole attitude over the past three days. Lazy, relaxed, comfortable.

I know I yakked on and on about how I wanted to run at the beach. I even took my clothes, shoes, Garmin, etc. Then I just had no motivation to leave the hotel room to actually run. I'll blame Hudson because he slept in my bed and woke me up every two hours during the night. It's not the best excuse, but it will do.

I also ate like there was no tomorrow. Onion rings, Caesar salad and steak at McLintock's. Buttery clam chowder and bread at Splash Cafe. Candy in the car. Soda. Shudder.

To make matters worse, we came home on Saturday night, and I intended to get up on Sunday morning to run. That didn't happen.

So here I am on Monday, trying to pull myself out of this vacation induced slump. I got up and ran this morning, and I intend to do so for four days straight. I haven't pulled out of the bad eating just yet.

Running felt hard, but good once I was done. I just want to be back at the ocean. I want to sit on my blanket at the beach and let the 62 degree weather wash over me. I want to live there. We plan to go back for the day in a few weeks. The kids had a great time digging in the sand. I forget that we can get there and back in a day. It's not that far.

Trying to pull myself out of vacation envy.

I have just three short weeks of summer left before the teachers go back to school. Then a week later the kids arrive. I've been in and out of school all summer, but I'm not quite ready to go back full time. My how summer flies.

The backgrounds on my blog went haywire, so I switched to this design. I'll see if it grows on me.

The only other interesting thing that happened to me today was nearly burning my eyeball out of the socket. I use Clear Care contact solution. It says on the bottle not to use it to rinse lenses. I guess I thought I was smarter than the bottle, but I'm not. Oh my Lord I nearly fell to the ground in pain from the burning. I could barely get my eye open enough to get the lens back out. I rinsed and rinsed with water. Luckily I can still see. That ranks up there with one of the more stupid things I have done. Note to self: follow instructions on the bottles.

And with that, I'm going to go rest my still sore eye.

1 comment:

The Green Girl said...

I am so happy to hear you are getting your ocean runs in. ::hugs::