Saturday, July 3, 2010

Better

Time: 34:56 min.
Distance: 2.25 miles
Avg. Pace: 15:33/mi.

This morning I ran three minutes and walked three minutes. Ran three minutes and walked three minutes. I did that until I got to two miles. Then I did my cool down walk and came home.

I wasn't following the Couch to 5K program, but was just doing my own thing. I want to build up to four days of running and two walking. I just finished Week 4 of Couch, but I am going to repeat Week 4 instead of moving on to Week 5.

This past week I followed the times (run 3, walk 90, run 5, walk 2 1/2, etc.). This week instead of following the times I am going to follow the distances. I can run 1/4 miles in 3 minutes. Did that consistently in today's run. However, I can't do a 5 minute 1/2 mile pace. My paces are somewhere in the 11 minute and change range.

I figure I'll follow this plan for the rest of the Couch program. First week follow times, and the second week follow distances. The 8-Week plan will turn into 12 weeks, and that's okay. I'm not going anywhere, and the roads aren't going anywhere. The Susan G. Komen race isn't until October, so I'm good. Last year I didn't start training until August, and I did fine.

I got back from my run and did five minutes of leg strength training. Oh how I hate strength training. However, I notice that my legs are pretty fatigued on my runs. I think having stronger muscles might help with that. I know five minutes isn't that long, but it's a start, and I'll build from there.

We are off to a wedding this afternoon. Looking forward to a long weekend.

No comments: