Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Treadmill is Hard

Distance: 2.509 miles
Time: 31 min.

I feel like I am the only person on the internet who seems to think it is easier to run outside rather than on a treadmill. I'm not talking about a boredom level. I'm talking about ease of running.

Outside on a good day, I have gotten to the point where I can run for 25 minutes and maintain an 11:30 min/mile pace. On the treadmill I am dying when I set the speed to 5.1. Why? Whyyyyyyy? And believe you me, I don't even think about raising the incline. Sheesh!

I have been trying my hardest to stay at 5.1. Couldn't do it today. So I started to re-evaluate. Why am I so hell bent on running at 5.1? And why 5.1? What rule book in my head spit out that number? (All I can figure is that my little bitty brain wanted to run slightly faster than a 12 minute mile.)

So I slowed it down to 4.5 mph. And I could instantly feel a difference. I was comfortable. I felt like I could keep running for the full 25 minutes...which I did. Don't get me wrong. I was still tired and sweating like crazy, but I didn't want to die.

Running is running. I have got to let go of numbers for a bit. I should be happy that I can run a bit faster outside. And maybe over time I'll up my speed on the treadmill.

I need to be proud of the fact that I am RUNNING!


I think there is something wrong with my sweat glands. I sweat more than the average person. Or maybe it's in my head. In any case, I really hate sweating, but I am very good at it.

1 comment:

The Green Girl said...

I can't run faster than a 15 minute mile on the treadmill and I lose interest like a third of a mile into the workout. I applaud anyone who can do it!