Saturday, January 2, 2010

Early

Day 8 No Soda
Running Log:
2.059 miles - 30 min.
Interval #3
Treadmill speeds 4.9, 5.1 and 5.3
Legs - 8 lb. 4 min.

Ahhh, done! I got my workout finished early. Granted, it is 4:42 in the afternoon, but that is so much better than waiting until 9 o'clock tonight to get it finished.

I am going to explain a few rules I have for myself regarding keeping my stats. (I'm sure that my three faithful readers aren't going to be picky about this, but I want to put it in writing, so I can look back and remember how I kept track of things.)

As far as keeping track of my running log, on my interval days I am counting the entire mileage covered, regardless if I am walking or running. It would be too complicated to figure out the exact amount of distance ran as opposed to walked. However, when I run outside and do my 5Ks or my Sunday long runs, I am only going to count my actual running time and not my warm up and cool down walk.

I know this is gibberish to all but me, but it makes me feel better to know how I want to keep track of my miles.

I do have specific goals for each month in regards to speed. In my running log for today, I said that my interval speeds were 4.9, 5.1, and 5.3. I will keep these speeds for the month of January and increase them each month. If I keep up with this plan for the year, I will reach a starting interval speed of 6.0 and an ending speed of 6.4 by December! That seems so insanely fast to me, but in reality, it is only a 10 minute mile.

Keeping with the same idea of adding a bit each month, I think that a healthier eating approach might work well using this system. I am such an all or nothing person and usually end up crashing and burning. I want to eat healthier, but I end up with my good friend "candy" when times get tough! Maybe if I incorporate one healthier habit each month, I will be able to make it stick. This month is no soda. Next month can be to eat two fruits each day. That would be a piece of cake because I like fruit, and I eat an apple everyday for breakfast anyhow.

Maybe I'll give this idea some thought, and I'll create my healthier food habit list for a future post.

I have my long run tomorrow. I am planning to run for 42 minutes. I won't even get into why I have chosen such a specific time. There are reasons, but they don't matter.

Next Saturday Evan and I have a race. I need to get our paperwork turned in before the price goes up. It's a two-miler, so it won't be as long as a 5K. Looking forward to it.

No comments: