Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pushing

Running Log:
3.239 miles - 45 min.
Treadmill speeds 4.9-5.4

I have recently increased my mileage and my time spent running. Up until now, my "easy" days were Monday, Wednesday and Saturday when I would do a 30 minute interval run. I liked knowing that the workout was done in 30 minutes, and I would generally cover 2 miles between the walking intervals and running.

To help increase my miles to get to 1,000 by the end of 2010 and to help my endurance and speed, I recently upped my easy day to 45 minutes. This means that I am doing many more intervals.

For instance, today I did 9 three-minute intervals. Add a five minute warm up and cool down plus the minute walking breaks, and it equaled exactly 45 minutes. I started out at a speed of 4.9 and worked my way up to a maximum of 5.4. I know that isn't very fast, but it's pretty speedy for me.

The point is that I was really pushing towards the end of my run. I felt pretty great once I was done, but trying to run faster is hard. However, that is exactly why I am doing it. Because it's hard. Accomplishing something hard usually feels pretty great.

No comments: