Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

Distance: 2.36 miles early morning run
Time: 34 min.


Three of the four boys lounging near my mom's Christmas Tree.

Christmas Eve has always been a pretty big deal for us. I've always loved the fact that we start the celebration a day early. Looking back, I think I treasured Christmas Eve even more than Christmas Day.

We always dressed up for church, and then came home to open gifts from each other. It is a tradition in my family to open the presents one by one. This draws out the fun as well as allows us to really appreciate what we got from one another.

Even as my sister and I have grown up, gotten married, and had families of our own, we still spend Christmas Eve with my side of the family.

We got to my mom's today at around noon, and we've spent the day laughing, eating, talking, and playing games. We'll head to church at 6:30, come back here and change into pj's, and then open presents from each other.

The first few years I was married, it was so hard for me to leave my parents' home at 11 p.m. to go home to my own house. Something about Christmas always makes me feel like a little kid again, so why would I leave my mom's house?!

But now I am the mom getting Christmas ready for her two little kiddos.

We will wake up in our own home tomorrow to see what Santa brought. Then we'll travel to Bakersfield to be with Husband's side of the family. It still feels a little weird not to be with my own family on Christmas Day, but at least our Christmas Eve traditions are preserved.

Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: